Former Concentration Camp

The Sachsenhausen Memoral is located in the suburb of Oranienburg, a short train ride to the north of Berlin.

Much of the site has been dismantled.  Careful study or the right guide is therefore highly recommended to fully understand what happened here and why.

In 1936, the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp was constructed as the first purpose-built camp of its kind.  It housed the Inspector General, making it the administrative center of the entire concentration camp system.  Amongst other things the Forensic Institute there researched killing process efficiency, and on-site SS training included perfecting methods for subjugation and terror. In the camp itself more than 200,000 inmates were imprisoned, tens of thousands of whom did not survive.

At the end of World War II the prisoners were liberated, but for five years the camp lived on as an internment camp in the Soviet occupied sector under the new name of Special Camp No. 7. A further 12,000 people lost their lives during this post war period.

During our time in the memorial we will attempt to unravel the complexities of this tragic and important place.

NB. All out guides are fully accredited by the memorial itself.